World Blood Donor Day is organized every year on 14th of June. The day was first celebrated in the year 1997. The theme of the year 2020 is: Safe blood saves lives; therefore, we all who are eligible should donate blood and save as many lives as we can.
Table of Contents
World Class Initiative: Blood Donation
The purpose of celebrating this day is to encourage blood donation and remove the misconceptions related to it. The World Health Organization introduced a hundred percent voluntary blood donation, appealing to all countries to promote voluntary blood donation, including 124 major countries.
Why is World Blood Donor Day Celebrated?
It is celebrated to aware people about the need of blood donation and to motivate them. It also focuses on thanking the blood donors.
Safe Blood Saves Lives
The need for safe blood is everywhere and is often important during treatment. This is one of the life-saving medical needs. Blood is also important for the treatment of the injured during all types of emergencies such as natural disasters, accidents, armed conflict, etc. In maternal and newborn care, blood has an essential life-saving role. The World Blood Donor Day is important to spread the importance of blood and the importance of blood donation to the people.
Benefits of Blood Donation
Have you ever thought about the benefits of giving something out of your body? Well! If not yet, think and know now, as blood donation has many benefits.
- Blood donation reduces the chances of a heart attack. Amazing one, right?
- Donating blood helps in reducing weight. Amazing and joyful news for health conscious people, like an icing on the cake. First, you get to save lives and then you get fit too.
- Blood donation fills body with energy, so do not worry and must try!
- Donating blood provides relief in liver-related problems as it balances the amount of iron, and the liver becomes healthy and the risk of cancer also decreases.
- Donating blood not only benefits the body but also gives mental satisfaction, that one saved someone’s life.
- Blood donation increases the immunity of the body, due to which our body can fight and win against many diseases.
Why is Blood Donation Important?
- Blood donation is a safe and healthy tradition. The amount of blood taken is rebuilt in 7 days.
- By donating blood, one person can save the life of another person and actually up to 3 lives can be saved!
- Blood cannot be produced in any way and there is no alternative. Therefore, one who is eligible for blood donation must donate blood.
Blood Donation in India
Blood donation in India is conducted by many big organizations and hospitals. Donors can also visit blood banks in hospitals to donate blood directly. In the past years, India has seen an improvement in the blood donation.
Major Blood Donation Camps in India
India has many blood donation organizations in India, some of the major organizations that conduct blood donation camps regularly are:
Rotary Blood Bank
It is one of the largest blood donation organizations that operate camps throughout India.
Indian Red Cross Society
It is a Delhi based organization and has 166 blood banks in India. It conducts blood donation camps in many cities.
This Organization was founded by the students of IIT Delhi. BloodConnect has a volunteer team in all premiere colleges. They have conducted blood donation and awareness camps across the country.
This organization is working in the field of blood donation to combat shortage of blood.
Dera Sacha Sauda
The Dera Sacha Sauda is an organization that conducted blood donation camps at such a large scale that it made world records. There are 3 Guinness World Records, 2 Asia Book of Records, an India Book of Records and a Limca Book of Records in Blood Donation and voluntary blood donors by this organization.
Other Blood Donation Networks
Apart from governmental and non-governmental organizations, many major organizations conduct blood donation camps regularly like Lions Blood Bank, Think Foundation, Save Life India, Ekam Nyas.
So, after knowing some interesting facts about blood donation and the enthusiasm of so many people and organizations, why not take pledge to do regular blood donation! Let’s save lives, it’s not that difficult after all. New blood formed is better and thus, it is a win-win.
If you have donated blood, tell us in the comment section and let’s motivate others!
Writing Credits – Laxmi Khinchi