International Youth Day is celebrated every year on 12th August world widely which mainly focuses on the growth of young generation. This day helps many to draw awareness on the aspects that we strive to find solutions for like poverty, mental depression, study issues and personal affairs too. On international youth Day, numerous workshops, seminars and concerts are organized in order to spread awareness about the challenges that today’s youth can face.
Table of contents:
- History behind international youth Day
- Main Theme of the day
- Need of international youth Day
- How can we celebrate this day?
History and Importance of international youth Day
United Nation founded the international day of youth. On 17 December, 1999, United Nations General Assembly endorsed the recommendation made by the World Conference of Ministers Responsible for Youth. From 1999, International youth Day is celebrated on 12 august every day. Youth are considered our powerful weapon that have potential to change the today’s situation. United nation doesn’t consider youth as beneficiaries, but they are partners as well as leaders and they are the only one who can find way to the issues that are arising in today’s world.
Main Theme of the day
The theme of International Youth Day 2021 is, “Transforming Food Systems: Youth Innovation for Human and Planetary Health”. The theme aims the active participation of youth in order to achieve specific goals. As it is predicted that till 2030, the population of India will become more than 2 billion. So, Many stakeholders produced items that are not really good for people’s health. Other issue are also very serious that need to address. The main agenda is to reduce these all unethical activities and this success will not possible without the meaningful participation of youth.
Need of international youth Day
There are several reason that why we celebrate international youth Day.
Why we need this to celebrate?
Answer is here!
- Emphasises on the rights of young people – Most of the youth are not aware of their rights. So, with the help of the organised webinar, seminar and concerts, they can know about the points that are very mandatory for them to know. Youth should have full access to education, Healthcare, employment and other important aspects too.
- To deal with the vast population – today’s generation of youth is the largest in history. More than 2 billion of population belongs to young upto 30. In today’s era, only youth have the potential to make big change in the society as well in country. This aspect makes it more necessary to celebrate youth Day and aware youth for existing hurdles.
- Empowered Youth – Youth is considered as the main power of the nation that can play a vital role in bringing change in the issues that becomes obstacle for sustainable development. Youth day also serves opportunities to raise awareness about the issues, challenges and problems that are faced by today’s youth.
- Encouragement for global purpose – The international youth Day is not only celebrated on local level, but it aims to develop the skills throughout the world. This day aims to pushing youth towards positivity to bring positive changes.
How can we celebrate this day?
As In today’s technological world, there are lots of means by which we can share our thoughts. To celebrate youth Day, we can also use that platforms. Other ways are here..
- Organize a show – you can contact with any TV or radio show executive to ensure one program that are totally based on the discussion between youth. This one can help to youth to solve their problems and discuss them to others.
- Organize a concert – Invite any inspirational leader in organising concert. Combine it with a discussion penal or the leader address the younger ones.
- Get help from youth minister – if you have any view about aspects that can be hurdle for youth you can write a letter to your minister of youth. The list of youth ministers available on http://social.un.org/youthyear/index.html.
- Through social media – you can get help from social media platforms. The challenges of young people today or how young people are contributing to development of any country. You can also involve youth in these all process.
There are numerous ways, by using them you can being a part of International youth Day and contribute yourself towards development.
The UN Secretary-General António Guterres says that Young people are on the frontlines of the struggle to build a better future for all. The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the dire need for the kind of transformational change they seek – and young people must be full partners in that effort. Young people are the main pillars that can build an economy perfectly. It’s very mandatory to encourage them through international youth Day.
Writing credit – Sukhdeep Kaur