Olympics are indeed tremendous sports activities that grant international platforms to players globally. Since 1986, the Olympics provide athletes the chance to contrast themselves against one another and deciding how great they are global. Due to the pandemic corona, it is for the first time that the date of the Olympic Games was postponed and rescheduled. After a long delay, Tokyo Olympics was commenced on the 23rd of July 2021. According to the resources in the Tokyo Olympics total of 11,000 athletes are going to participate in 33 distinct sports and from 206 countries. This time India had sent 228 strong contingents for 18 distinct sports events. Saikhom Mirabai Chanu is the only athlete who participated in weightlifting from India. Recently she created a historic landmark by winning the silver medal for India in Tokyo Olympics. In this review, we will enunciate her debut, milestones, and how people of the nation welcomed milestone achiever Saikhom Mirabai Chanu.
Table of Contents:
- Early life, and the debut of Iron lady of Manipur in sports
- Mirabai Chanu historic landmark in the Tokyo Olympics
- Mirabai Chanu’s other achievements
- How Nation welcomed her?
Early life, and the debut of Iron lady of Manipur in sports
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu is 26 years old Indian Weightlifter. She belongs to Nongpok Kakching village situated in Manipur, India. When she was of 12 years of age, her family recognised her strength because she could carry huge bundles of firewood alone. Then, she struggled to be an athlete due to a family financial crisis. After that, she gets success in the year 2014.
Her first debut was in the Glasgow edition of the Commonwealth Games in the year 2014 at the age of 20 where she clinched the silver medal in the 48Kg weight lifting category. In 2016, she for the first time, participated in Rio Olympics.
Mirabai Chanu historic landmark in the Tokyo Olympics
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu created history on Saturday as she becomes the first Indian weightlifter to notch a silver medal in the Tokyo Olympics. She won a silver medal in the 49Kg category weightlifting competition.
- The competitor of Chanu, Hou Zhizhi won the gold by lifting a weight of a total 210Kg. In contrast, Chanu lifted a total weight of 202Kg where she lifted 110Kg in her first attempt with the clean and jerk category, and 115 in second attempts. It created a historic moment for Mirabai Chanu.
- With Mirabai Chanu’s efforts, she becomes India’s second weightlifter medal winner after Karnam Malleswari in 2000 in Sydney Olympics.
Mirabai Chanu’s other achievements
Mirabai Chanu had won many awards for her incredible performances. Here is the list of achievements:
- Chanu participated in Women’s Senior National Weightlifting Championship in 2016 and clinched a gold medal for India.
- In 2017, Chanu notch a gold medal by participating in the World Weightlifting championships 48Kg category that was held in Anaheim, United States. She gets a medal by lifting a total of 194Kg weight which includes 85Kg snatch, and 109 Kg of clean and jerk.
- In 2018, she won a first gold medal for India in Common Wealth Games held in Australia.
- In 2020, she was awarded a gold medal in Senior National Weightlifting Championships in the 49Kg category.
- In the month April 2021, Chanu won her bronze medal for the nation in Asian Weightlifting Championships.
- IN 2018, she was awarded with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
- In the same year, Padma Shri Award (In 2018) – India’s fourth-highest civilian award.
How Nation welcomed her?
After creating history when Mirabai Chanu reached India where a huge crowd of people was waiting for Chanu at Delhi Airport, and want to take photographs with a silver-medallist on Monday. Moreover, the staff of Delhi Airport welcomed Mirabai Chanu with a beautiful bouquet.
Also, people and airport staff were saying the “Vande Mataram” and motivational slogan. After that, the coach and Chanu were interviewed by the media persons. Apart from this, the Prime Minister and other celebrities such as Sachin Tendulkar and many politicians are congratulating her for their victory on social media apps.
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu’s achievements inspire other women to nurture their sports dreams. The nation is proud of her for their milestone achievements. We also congratulate her for the same.
Writing credits – Aakriti Bamnia